Thursday, June 25, 2009

Better Than Yesterday.

Last night as John  and I closed the day with prayer, he prayed that tomorrow we would find ourselves better than we were today. I have reflected upon those words wondering if indeed, I am and if so how and why?

I believe I am. Why? Not because of anything I did but rather from being blessed by others faith and goodness. Yesterday Niki Decca (a counselor who serves with me in the Relief Society) and I went on what we call shepherding visits. We were trying to visit sisters we don't know whose names are on our records yet don't come to church. The last sister we went to see, (after the first two not being home), was an older woman whose faith has strengthened my own. She spoke about the Savior and her love for Him. Her humility was apparent from the moment we met her. She openly discussed her weakness of smoking and yet spoke from heart the Lord's Prayer and the Lord is my Shepherd (psalms 23). Before we left we asked if there was anything we could do for her. She didn't shake her head quickly like some usually do (myself included) but pondered for a moment, then said yes, there is something you can do for me. I always get these two prayers (the two afore mentioned) mixed up, can you tell me where they are found? Though I couldn't recite the reference from memory then, because of her, I can now. As we prepared to leave she asked if we would bless her. She then held out her hands and asked me to pray. So there in a circle, united in faith we prayed.

There have been times when I have been visiting someone and know I should ask if we could pray and felt a little hesitant to ask. Yet, here was this sweet sister, asking with assured faith, two sisters she had just met, to pray for her and with her. I left her home better than when I entered it. 

How I am or rather will be better than yesterday, depends on if my actions will reflect my newly strengthened faith.
Because....

 
The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want.
   He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
   He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
      Yea, though I walk through valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
   Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
   Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Psalm 23

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet lady. I hope that she will come back to church someday. I just read that Psalm the other day in a book I was reading. I love it!! Thanks for reminding me yet again of the importance of filling our life with service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome experience....thanks for sharing. I miss NC shepherding with sisters like you and Niki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experience. I love finding a beautiful sister where only "a name" once was. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete