Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hope Ya Know, We Had a Hard Time

Today I spoke with a single sister who recently found out she is going blind. She is 47 years old and still has three children at home under the age of 16. She had to quit her job in order (they hope) to slow down the process of going blind. She says this is about the last blow she can take from life. I encouraged her to come back to church, to let her Bishop help her, her visiting teachers. She said she only wanted to shut the door to her room and never come out again. Everything she goes to do, she added, simply reminds her that her ability to complete the task will soon be an inability. I thought of her as I watched this video.

It is something that I think, that can lend strength in the midst of our trials. I hope it helps any who take the opportunity to view it. May we always remember that no matter how difficult the trial, like so, with my new friend, we need not face them alone, not completely. The Lord never leaves us alone and comfortless. He is always there if we will put our trust in Him and not shut the door to His extended arms of mercy.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you got in to see her. It is definitely what she needed. You and your cookies have help so many people.Thank you for your wonderful smile and kind heart. You are a wonderful example of the Savior.I can only pray that she will come back. So many people in our ward would be willing to help her in any way. Thank you for sharing it brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of the blind woman who made quilts for humanitarian projects? I'm not sure how to find it, but I believe it was talked about at the BYU woman's conference or somewhere in 2009. (Sorry that's not much help) but it is a very inspiring story, and may be a story your friend would like to hear to give her hope. I am glad that you were able to meet her though. Of all the people I could see in a time of trial, you are one that would bring peace, hope, & the love of our Savior.

    ReplyDelete