Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Taught by my Little Ones

Though not so little any more they will always be my little ones and today I have been taught by them. As I spoke with my daughter Amber this afternoon she said "Mom I need to go, I think the children's mother is here". Though she is pregnant with two daughters of her own, (the youngest just turned one) Amber tended a set of 19 month old twins for the day in order that their pregnant Mommy could visit the doctor. Then, not but a few moments afterwards I was speaking with Melissa, (who also is expecting) and she said "Mom I need to go, the family we are having dinner with is here". In an effort to help a struggling family they had them over for dinner. It is one thing to serve others when you have an empty house but everyday I see young mothers, whose plates are already full yet find the inner strength to serve someone else. I am constantly humbled by their goodness. While being taught by others is vastly rewarding, there is something richly fulfilling for a mother to be taught by her children!

Alas, my tutorial was yet to be finished, as my daughter Stefani called, excited because she had aced a test! That in and of itself is wonderful but her continued explanation touched my heart. Stefani was concerned about her grade in this class as she had not done so well on the last test. When receiving her paper back for the test she took today she noticed that the aide who had graded it had given her credit for an answer she didn't deserve, as it was only half right. In the attitude and principle of integrity Stefani took the test back to point it out to her Professor. To give the professor credit (which was why Stefani told me this story in the first place), he gave her the point because of her honesty. Whether he had or not, is not my lesson learned here today. Her honesty will be measured far beyond her term grade and I am reminded that one act, one little point is not worth the honors of men. Our acts of righteousness honors God and in turn bespeaks of our desires towards our Eternal home.
I am so grateful for the lessons taught to me this day while glancing through the windows of my children's lives.

5 comments:

  1. They all had a fantastic example in you and John! I see you helping and sreving others all the time. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post!! They have indeed learned from the two of you. At times I wonder, can I do it? Will I be able to raise confident, spiritual, happy children? and I think of your kids and you and John. I got to watch most of them move into adulthood and make great choices, and I hope that I can be the kind of mother that can prepare my children for that kind of life. I know many of us with young children wonder if we're getting it right enough of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherrie, I just noticed you had a blog, (clicked over from Mandy's) and it was a joy to catch up. Wonderful to see that Steph got married and love this last post. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely learned it from one of the greatest examples ever....you!!!

    ReplyDelete